I love Christmas it is one of my favourite holidays. The bright lights, the excitement, the coming together of the community. I am a fan of all the things, and festivities. It really is a wonderful time of year with parades, craft markets and light displays. In order to not miss a thing here is some of my favourite things to do.
My 10 Favourite things to do at Christmas time
1- The Santa Claus Parade.
Here in Victoria, we do it a bit different and our parade is at night. This brings a magical touch with lights, floats and music.
- When: Saturday, November 26th, starting at 5 p.m.
- Where: The new parade route will begin in front of the Legislature on Government Street. It will then turn right onto Humboldt Street and will travel along Douglas Street, ending at Fisgard Street.
2- The Truck Parade
A stunning fleet of buses and trucks lightening up the streets of Victoria. It’s a night not to be missed.
- When: Saturday, December 3rd, starting at 5:40 p.m.
- Where: Starts at the Breakwater District at Ogden Point and ends at Bear Mountain Parkway, below are the time frames:
- 5:40 p.m.: Breakwater District / Ogden Point
- 6:30 p.m.: Oak Bay Avenue
- 7:00 p.m.: Yates Street at Blanshard Street
- 7:30 p.m.: Burnside Road West
- 8:00 p.m.: Goldstream Avenue and Veterans Memorial Parkway
- 8:30 p.m.: Bear Mountain Parkway
This is a family favorite. Walk through the Bay Center to awe and ohh at over 65 decorated unique trees. This is an annual fundraiser supporting BC Childrens Hospital, vote.
- When: From now until January 3rd, view during shopping centre hours
- Where: The Bay Centre, 3125 Douglas Street
4 – All the craft markets Victoria has to offer. There are big weekend ones, like Creative Craft Fair, to a Touch of Salt Spring to Christmas in a Manger. Also, many being held at community centres or at schools. You can’t go wrong with whatever one you choose.
This is a Christmas must do for sure. Also available in 3D. An inspiring adventure based on the beloved children’s book by Chris Van Allsburg. A doubting young boy takes an extraordinary train ride to the North Pole.
- When: Select days starting December 17th to December 31st
- Where: IMAX in downtown Victoria, 675 Belleville Street
Join Peninsula Celebrations Society for the Sidney Sparkles Christmas Parade on Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 5:00 pm along Beacon Avenue in Downtown Sidney!
- When: Sunday, December 4th, starts at 5 p.m.
- Where: Begins along Resthaven Drive and turns onto Beacon Avenue before turning right onto Second Street and ending at Ocean Avenue
Get into the holiday spirit with family and friends. Mark your calendars for Greater Victoria’s largest, FREE outdoor light display.
- When: December 15th to December 31st
- Hours: Sunday to Thursday: 4 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Hours: Friday and Saturday: 4 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Where: Centennial Square in downtown Victoria
The gardens are brought to life with over a thousand different lights. While you walk look for the displays of the 12 days of Christmas. Don’t forget the old carousel, and outside staking will be a new or old family favourite.
- When: December 1st to January 6th, 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. daily
- Where: The Butchart Gardens, 800 Benvenuto Avenue
9. Support a Toy Drive or Sponsor a Family
Christmas can be a stressful time, and this year seems much more so. There are many fundraisers around Greater Victoria to donate toys or sponsor a family.
Here are some ways you can help.
This is Habitat for Humanity’s premier fundraiser running for the 14th year.
Located in the atrium of the stunning Parkside Hotel & Spa, the Showcase will run from November 26, 2022 to January 2, 2023. Stop by this local holiday treasure to view the fantastic 100% edible creations made by our volunteer bakers and don’t forget to donate to vote for your favourite!
This year we asked bakers to interpret some magic into their fabulous creations with this year’s theme: Magical.
What is your favourite thing to do at Christmas time in Victoria BC? Do you have family traditions that are must do’s during the holidays?
More about Anna Milne Photography.
Anna Milne is a professional photographer living in Colwood BC serving the greater Victoria area and beyond. She is a believer in capturing family moments that are fun, candid, and full of love and life. To see more of her work, Click Here,